[geeks] Funny email

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Tue Aug 6 13:06:17 CDT 2002

This was on the focus-virus list.  Note the sender's email domain.  hehe

From: 	<zack.nash at amd.com>
To:	<msorin at gecadsoftware.com>, <focus-virus at securityfocus.com>
Date: 	8/6/02 11:04AM
Subject: 	RE: hardware recommendations?

	The advantage to SUN architecture is the fact that they build the
hardware and the OS, so they know the caveats to their hardware.  This
presents a very stable environment in which a server can run, for that
reason when you see high end enterprise solutions you will generally see a
high end SUN box there.  In terms of antiviral software, if you have
multiple machines, an HA environment then running three or four machines
with your choice OS will work.  SUN has entered into the freeware, I
believe it is Solaris 9 that you can download for free, but unless you are
in love with Solaris, it is slow and you do not get the benefits if it is
not on a SPARC.  I would run Linux (probably Redhat) or a BSD variant,
either of which will get the job done, and if you are looking for speed
you can slim down the kernels on both of these boxes to get optimum
performance.
	Also if you are going for performance, consider an AMD based
system :).
Zack

--
gary(AT)linuxforce.org