[geeks] examples of vector processors (vs scalar processors)

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Mon Aug 5 15:50:14 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

>On August 5, William S. wrote:
>

>>Sometimes I think my browser has a mind of its own.
>>Anyways, my brain has locked in on trying to better understand
>>the differences between vector and scalar processors.
>>
>>What I was looking for now are some examples of vector
>>processors (does the G4 qualify with it's Altivec engine?).
>>Are there any vector processors found on small machines?
>>

>  Several modern processors have SIMD functionality which can (somewhat
>loosely I suppose) be called vector capabilities.  .UltraSPARC VIS,
>Pentium MMX, and PowerPC AltiVec come to mind.  I believe HP's newer
>PA-RISC processors have a similar capabilitiy but I don't know what
>it's called offhand.
>
>  More "traditional" vector processors can be found in Crays and some
>very large, very old CDC machines like 6600s.
>
>       -Dave

Speaking of UltraSPARC IIIi's...The August 2002 issue of Scientific
American has an article on asyncronous processors, the UltraSPARC IIIi
is specifically mentioned (The article was co-authored by Ivan E.
Sutherland from Sun). It was pretty interesting. The opening picture was
cool (he is holding a wafer of UltraSPARC IIIi's).

shawn