[geeks] ISDN questions

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 5 13:22:03 CDT 2002

~ What do people think of the idea of instead of getting a regular phone
~ line or two, just getting a single ISDN line for all phone use?  My
~ understanding is that the per minute billing charges, in most areas,
~ are only applied for data calls, not voice calls.  I've heard that 56k
~ modems operate better over ISDN (while still being considered a voice
~ call), and that ISDN is nicer for setting up a home PBX.

This idea has merit. You will need a TA with at least one pots interface
though. As for your inet, 56K modem (analog) calls terminate on ISDN
hardware. You can tell your TA to send data as a voice call and dialup your
ISP account. You will need a cluefull TA, such as the Adtran ISU128 to do
this. You will have glitch-free 56K dialup service. You will find it
difficult to get rate package plans from your local telco, but you can
switch LD carriers after install and get good rates for instate/LD. Bell
systems provide the same basic rates as a POTS line for ISDN calls set up as
voice.

There are also TA's that allow full use of the D channel and you then have
access (9600 baud) to the X.25 network and frame networks. This allows some
cutesy possibilities. I used to go D to D between my house and an employer.
The cute part is there is no time charge (packet charges may apply if both
ends are on different carriers).

Another cute thing about ISDN.... The calling party ID is a native part of
the D packet during call setup and cannot be blocked and its
nationwide/international. You will have killer caller ID. Make sure your TA
passes CID info to the POTS port.

Looks like you will be in the market for a router with V.35 or a V.35 PC
interface card.

~
~ But none of that information comes from anything resembling good
~ sources, and I hear that asking the telco for all the details is an
~ excersise in futility.  But, it does sound like something worth
~ exploring.