[geeks] Group think

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Aug 5 10:32:19 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:03:36AM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> 	The situation: I am making hamburger helper for dinner. I have
> cooked the beef and I am now adding the ingredients and the water. I get the
> measuring cup out of the cabinet and measure 4 cups of tap water. In the
> process nothing else goes in the measuring cup but tap water. After I am
> done I go to put the cup back in the cabinet. My wife at the time, now my ex
> and this may be why, says that I can't do that. The cup must now be washed.
> I explain that only water went in it so it does not need to be washed. She
> says it does, I say fine have it your way, but I am real curious about what
> you plan to wash the cup with if water makes it dirty. She leaves the room.
>
> 	My Ex-wife is a very artsy/people kind of person. I am a very
> technical person. I have a suspicion that this argument resulted because of
> our different brain orientations. So the question to the list is:
>
> 	Would you have washed the measuring cup before putting it back in
> the cabinet or not?

At times I have indeed washed the cup before putting it back.  The
idea was that since we had bacteria in the water, the cup should be
washed to kill it.  It would be washed in a chlorine/water mixture,
then rinsed in a similar mixture.

As a general rule though, I don't wash cups that have only had water
in them.

--
Joshua D. Boyd