[geeks] You know you're an OpenVMS fanatic...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Aug 2 19:09:24 CDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 03:21:20PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 03:15:23PM -0400, Ross Alexander wrote:
> > You know what happened on November 17, 1858.
> What happened?

Beginning of time.  VMS uses 1858-11-17T00:00:00Z as its epoch, which is, I
think, the day that the US Naval Observatory was opened.

> > You know the corect way of writing a date is
> > DD-MMM-YYYY.
> Why in the world?

Because unlike DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY it is unambiguous.  VMS predates
ISO 8601 so we'll let them off for having their local standard varying
from the proper notation.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

If you save all your money for three years, you'll be able to afford this
new computer.  If, however, you blow all your money on poker, booze and
loose women - you'll still be able to afford it in three years.
                                                      -- anon, on Usenet