[geeks] austin worries me..

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Thu Aug 1 15:19:50 CDT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:
> WTB:   7 ft long Chest Type Freezer in excellent condition (need very
> quickly),  DNA Ectraction centrifuge (intermittemt duty)

You must have a bioengineering lab in town. We had one, called Research
Genetics, run by a man with a heart. Then, after about 10 years of
building it, he sold it to a California company, who waited three months,
then axed the entire division because it competed with another division
who had a product that wasn't so good. RG was known for *excellent*
support -- one of those companies where they might route you to the man
who designed the part (or gene) you're having trouble with.

The Suits showed up at 8 one morning and told the vast majority that they
were going to be cut loose, effective immediately, except for a few
workers. Security guards were on hand en-masse for the announcement.
People cleaned out desks, etc. and left. The new company, in exchange for
the fact that they violated the law on notice, gave the employees
outplacement assistance for a month, three month's severance and two
months of health insurance.

It was brutal, but at least they did do something. Jim Hudson, the man who
started the company, made $50 million selling it. I guess he was as naive
as the rest of us when it comes to suitism.

(Not me anymore. >:-)

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"