[geeks] Woah!

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 1 09:56:09 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:35:42AM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> Now, I've never met you Joshua, but, from reading your posts, one gets the
> image of a Thomas Edison figure, madly spinning off ideas and inventions at
> a furious clip, sleeping on a cot in your lab.  That or Brain, from 'Pinky
> and the Brain'.

Well, that is a rather flatterning comparison (the Edison one), if we
leave out the patent idiocy, the elephant torture, and marital
problems.  It is however, perhaps not as acurate as I might like.
While I do spin off ideas quite quickly (and if fact, I do keep notes
about many of them) and I was homeschooled, and I do have a bit of a
lab, I unfortunately do not quite have the courage to just quit right
now (while I'm 22 like Edison was) and devote myself full time to
coming up with ideas and implementing them (my ideas aren't so
revolutionary as to really be inventions I think, but then they do
call Ron Popeil an inventor...).

However, doing something along those lines is always on my mind.  I
have a few ideas that I think might be implementable quickly enough
that they could be out there earning money (assuming that they
actually could earn money) while I work on the bigger ideas I have.

The "quick" ideas relate to practical network appliances and home
networking.  So far I've been envisioning cheap systems based on wired
ethernet, but realistically, it is starting to look like wireless
would be the best way to go for network appliances.

The not so quick ideas are fairly closely related to computer
animation.  One thing I should do before dropping of other people's
jobs (if I ever actually do so) is make sure I buy a copy or two of
Maya and Combustion, and a machine to run it on, along with needing a
cash reserve to live on.

--
Joshua D. Boyd