"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Apr 26 22:01:44 CDT 2002

If you really wanna know how good the market is for experienced people in
the right areas just take a look at the listings on major job sies. Or even
better post your resume and see how many recruiters call.

I posted my resume on Irish sites only making it very clear that I was only
interested in working in Ireland, and I've had at least half a dozen
Virginia, North Carolina, California, New York, Boston, and Texas positions
emailed to me every workday since.

I've talked to a LOT of recruiters over the past month and almost to a man
they're looking for experienced and "good" UNIX admins and architects,
security admins and architects, DBAs, storage people, senior C/C++
developers and project managers, and Novell admins. I was surprised at that
one actually I thought all these guys had pretty good relatively secure jobs
that they'd never leave or get fired from. If the companies were going to
drop novell they would have done so already, and there's almost no totally
new installations going in.

Now the salaries arent what you'd be getting two years ago, the benefits are
back down to normal corporate america type levels, and they arent willing to
relocate people very much anymore, but the market is definitely very
healthy.

ALl that being said, companies are using the PERCEPTION that the market
isn't healthy to cover up for poor revenues, bad management etc...

They are using it as an excuse to get rid of higher paid people as well as
really low grade entry level people and the generally useless middle
management structure. That I can accept.

What I can't accept is that they're also using it as an excuse to really
lowball some very good people out there. Recruiters are being pushed out
listing with salaries that are honestly just far too low for the level of
experience they are wanting. A lot of companies think they can used the
percieved bad job market to pick up some bargains, and they are probably
right. Most people never really take a good look at wehat they are worth to
an employer and so when they get a number put in fornt of them, if it's
enough to pay their bills and make them comfortable, will take it without
negotiation, especially if they feel nervous about the market.

Just as an example, I've been seeing senior UNIX or full system+network
admin positoions with requested 5+ years experience with a salary on offer
of 35k. I made more than that in my first junior admin job. That's the
salary I'd expect to see a small city offer a mid level admin, not a good
sized company offer a senior one.

Chris Byrne