[geeks] opinions on netras vs ultras?

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Tue Apr 9 21:03:27 CDT 2002

Eric Dittman wrote:

> If I had to pick between a U10 or a Netra, I'd
> definitely go with the Netra (esp. with the recent
> negative comments about the U10 case and IDE).

I'd have to say it depends entirely on what you plan to use it for. My
U10/440 w/SCSI is a pretty damn studly machine. It's great for a
desktop, which a Netra wouldn't be. I'd far rather rack a Netra for a
server, though.

The U10's probably not for sale after all. I've been winning the upgrade
parts for my Wallstreet really cheap on ebay. I've now got an 83MHz
mobo, and a 250MHz/1Mb G3 CPU. For less than $50 total. All that remains
is the screen, which I unfortunately won't win cheap. Probably looking
at $200-250. Doable, but not this week.

I think I'd still sell bothe the Wallstreet and the U10, though, if the
total combined would buy me a Pismo and a wireless base and card.

---sambo
rambling