Brian Hechinger's "low end" (was: Re: [geeks] NAT and Filtering on Solaris)

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Tue Apr 2 02:15:17 CST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> <mock peevish voice>
> "No, it's not."
> </mpv>

Eh. I was making conversation. If anyone thinks a U-anything is too low
end for them, they can ship it to me. Casa Kirby has three IPXs, one IPC,
and two SS2s without hard drives.

> "Low End" implies that a system was targeted as a low-cost option to a
> line.  For example, a Macintosh LC was "low end", and a Mac IIfx was
> *not*.

Funny you should mention that. I have an LC III and a IIfx. :) I love my
Powerbook 520c more though. Now if I could just find a "Power" for it. :-/

> A Ultra 5 or 10 is "low end", a Ultra 2 is not. At the time the
> U2 was designed, it was the best that it could be.  The U5, for example,
> was designed from the very start to be a cheap POS. (Oooo, don't tell
> Scott I said that.)

Most, if not all of the Sun Ultra series I have seen up close an personal
were the look-alike towers -- the U10, U30, and U60.

> (BTW, the Sun 386i was not "low end" it was "f**ked up the rear end".)

<g>