[geeks] GRRR. FRYS CAN BLOW ME

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 29 12:35:43 CDT 2001

> I'd also been planning on doing some shopping after I got my upgrade
> CDs - instead, I walked out.  It may be quite a while before I give Fry's
> any more of my money.  Not only did they waste an hour and a half
> of my time on a Saturday morning, they've really pissed me off.

I hate to say it Bill, but you found out what millions of Bay Area residents
already knew.  Fry's is notorious for bait-n-switch operations - as well as
questionable advertising.

Sometimes it works against them:
My dad and I both saw a 25" television listed in a local Fry's ad (when I
was living in Livermore down the street from The LLL) for $189 - a very good
price for the name brand (Sony I think, not sure, was a few years ago).  The
way the ad was lined up, the price "$189" was next to the 25" TV - anyone
with, or without, half a brain would have assumed that 25" TV was priced at
$189.

Upon going to Fry's and asking for the $25" TV for $189, we were informed
that it was a mistake in the ad layout - the TV we were inquiring about was
actually $350.

Naganna happen...  My dad and I were righly pissed, especially after waiting
in line for 2 hours to be the first ones in line to each get one of the
"limited stock on hand".

Between the two of us threatening to call the BBB, the local police, the
this, the that, so on and so forth - we finally walked out with two 25" TVs
for $189 each.

Fry's must have be used to having customers roll over and pay whatever
they're told when they get to the store - and defenitely were not counting
on a couple of hicks from Ohio (pronounced "Ahia" if you're talking to
me...).

My wife's stepfather has been on similar adventures, he always get's his
way - ever hear a crotchety 50 year old Irish man curse - my gracious!!!

Kurt