[geeks] AUI Networks

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 26 19:15:28 CDT 2001

[ On Wednesday, September 26, 2001 at 20:00:23 (-0400), Greg A. Woods wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] AUI Networks
>
> There are such things as AUI MAUs (multiple attachment units), but
> you're almost infinitely better off sticking with individual
> transceivers, especially if you already have an investment in UTP
> Ethernet components.

grrr.....  sorry I've made a mistake there....

"MAU" is "media attachment unit"  A tranciever is a MAU, for example.

What I meant to say was there are multi-port MAUs.  I have an
Allied-Telesis CentreCOM 8-port MAU, for example.  The reason I
recommend staying away from them is that they're not lot more reliable
than an individual tranciever and when one breaks you've got N machines
cut off the net instead of one....  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>