[geeks] why ?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 25 22:24:39 CDT 2001

kurt at k-huhn.com writes:

>> I like to think that mobalizing against Def Leppard can bring us
>> together in unity and make all Americans realize that all of our
>> various differences are trivial when compared to important things, like
>> hating bad 80s music.

>Agreed.  But we should recognize good music from the 80's.  The Clash, The
>Smiths, PIL, The Pixies, The Pogues, The Specials, Beastie Boys, The Cure,
>Burning Spear, are all what I would consider good music.

I can't think of much 80s stuff I like actually... it's mostly a dark
ages period of misused synthesizers between the heavy/grungy 70s stuff
(Cooper, Sabbath, Stooges, Dolls) and the metal (Slayer) & punk (Born
Against, dropdead, The Locust, etc) revivals of the 90s.

PIL I respect but I'm not very familiar with. The Clash I think did
their best work earlier. The Specials were good.

I actually saw Burning Spear open for The Clash on the horrible
we-just-discovered-girls tour. (The one with "Should I stay or
should I go". Yeah, real political guys, thanks.)

Oh, I know! New wave was 80s. B52s, Adam Ant, The Cars. Good stuff.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-- I make them out of clay and bring them to life with a blood sacrifice. --