[geeks] AAAAAAAAGH! Spammers on the loose!

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 25 17:16:47 CDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:34:38PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Hard to do when I let other folks use basenji.com for email accounts....
>
> Yeah - that can be difficult.  Do these other folks have static IPs?  That
> would be easy to restrict.  However, it never is that easy.

I have several users who use my server.  They can only send mail through
my server if they have their own static IP, otherwise they must use their
ISP's smart-host or similar.  They can, of course, *collect* their mail
via POP or IMAP from anywhere they choose provided that they are
appropriately authenticated.

> I've heard of sites that setup mail so that a user *must* login via POP3 and
> get mail before they will allow SMTP connections from that IP.  Not sure how
> to set this up though.

POP-before-SMTP is a nasty kludge but it works. Just about. If you don't
sneeze near it.

  Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced