[geeks] why ?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 24 21:02:18 CDT 2001

Most Westerners don't know the reason women "women cover
up" just as most in the Middle East may not understand
why some of our women do the opposite.  I can understand
why the women practice (is that a good word to use
here?) parda.  That doesn't bother me at all, many do
that in the city in which I work.  It's a different
culture, a different religion.  CNN can make a big deal
out of it.  To me, so what?  But that's not the only
thing.  Is it true that the women are not allowed to go
to school?  If true, I do not agree with that.  Now one
thing that's practiced in other parts of the world which
I cannot understand is female circumcision.  I may have
an slight idea what that's all about but I don't agree
with it, not in the least.  Yet it's part of some
people's belief system (note I'm not necessarily saying
religion here).
  Maybe a better example would be if someone wanted to
build a mosque next to my church, I have no problem with
that.  Now if they wanted to burn down my church so they
can put up a mosque, that's a different story.  The
Taliban appear to be supporting some individuals who
want to "burn down my church" and may have started the
process already.  I'm not going to accept that.