[geeks] GPS clocks

Erik geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 24 16:45:56 CDT 2001

> >I'd like to hear anyone's opinions on cheap reliable gps refrence clocks.
> >I'm specifically looking at the one made by gpsclock.com.
> >Anyone know of any other sub $500 complete units(board + antenna +
> >rs-232 interface)?
>
> I wonder if you could use one as a war detector.
>
> GPS is supposed to stop being usefull when "the shit hits the
> fan", right? Can they stop people from getting the mil channel
> anymore, or is that distinction completely history?
>
> Someone told me once that there was no security whatsoever in
> the data, and the military relied on the cooperation of the
> GPS receiver makers to not use the high-resolution mil channel
> for civilian units.

I don't remember the details, but I believe they dropped it a couple of
years ago. I haven't really been following the thread, but I know the
precision was increased by a firmware update in most Garmin units a couple
of years ago, allowing it to be far more accurate, instead of some 50ft
radius or something, it was closer to 15-20 IIRC.

---
Erik Parker
---