[geeks] Re: (geeks) funny way to start the day

John geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 08:26:53 CDT 2001

    I have done support at several places and several levels. It never
fails. There is always a screamer. At a trading floor that I supported, it
was a guy I will call Bob. He called me at 6:00am one morning screaming
obscenities. He said in colorful language I will not share that I was to
come fix his machine as soon as possible. I managed to extract from his
tirade that his sound was not working. When I arrived, I calmly looked at
his system as he was yelling at three other people about a trade with
Frankfurt. I then called him over to his machine and told him "Bob, see this
light on the speaker that is dark? If you press this button labeled 'Power',
the light will light up and the sound will work." At that point, he
confessed to being stupid and from then on, I was the only support person he
never yelled at. I call this my "Kindergarten Teacher" aproach. It works on
almost all but the worst of the cranial-anal impacted. All you have to do is
remain calm, smile, speak in a soft, friendly voice, and demonstrate to them
that they are stupid without insulting them. Many will then insult
themselves for your entertainment or elevate you to godhood. Some will do
both. For some who don't respond to this tactic, simple information overload
will sufice. You start slowly telling them more than they ask when they ask
questions untill they start that knowing nod that really means they are
hoplessly lost in technobabble. You then can tell them anything that you
want them to remember and it will be treated as god's own truth. If you
increase the information enough, the eyes will glaze over and they will just
stay placidly in place untill you finish whatever upsetting process you
desire to inflict on their machine. I like to call this "Verbal Anesthetic".
It is not a universal cure, but it can help one keep the remainder of one's
sanity...

John at tequies.com