[geeks] RE: Re: [rescue] God bless America

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 18:20:36 CDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 12:24:14AM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:

> > > Your laws applied there; your currency was valid there ...
> > Maybe I should have spelled it out. Hawaii was not part of the United STATES at the
> > at the time.  Our currency is valid in Puerto Rico, our laws apply (at least most of them)there but you
> > better not call them part of the United States. :->
>
> As far as everyone else in the entire world is concerned Hawaii was part
> of the US and Puerto Rico is.  Puerto Rico doesn't have any embassies
> abroad, it is represented by US embassies.  *That* is what matters, not
> some trivial minutiae of domestic law.

Puerto Rico is (and at WWII Hawaii was) a territory of the
.us.  Territories don't get to vote for federal officials nor are they
represented in congress.  But they also don't get taxed.  In all other
ways they are part of the .us.  If they wanted to, I expect that they
could easily become a state, but puerto rico keeps voting not to become
one because they don't really want to be part of the .us.

> Same applies to the Isle of Man, BTW.  As far as the UK is concerned, it
> isn't part of the UK.  As far as the rest of the world is concerned, it
> is.  And sensible .UKians realise that it really is part of our country
> and that the obscure laws governing its relationship with us are pretty
> irrelevant.

Who rules the Isle of Man?  GB?  UK and GB aren't the same thing are they?

--
Joshua D. Boyd