[geeks] oh my god.

D.A. Muran-de Assereto geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 21:21:56 CDT 2001

Hmmmm. Hard to understand how anyone would think that a gun (modulo
a AAA cannon or somesuch) would have helped prevent today. Still, I
guess the imperative for self-protection isn't always reasonable.

I have heard many commentators today speak about the lack of security
in the US ADIZ. As if just telling someone to stay out of restricted
airspace would keep a terrorist or other miscreant at bay. This thing
that really pisses me off is that these are the same people that threw
a fit when the Peruvians shot down that religious charter flight
because they misidentified it, tried to have the captain of the USS Vicennes
burned at the stake for shooting down an unarmed airliner, and still
flinch at the idea of a US military or civilian casualty during a
military action. The only way to enforce these rules, or the will
of our nation, on some recalcitrant bastard who doesn't care about
world opinion, is to kill him. And then kill all those who would
replace him, a la the old Roman attitude with respect to Carthage.

Then we run into the "qui custodiat?" phase, where we have to figure out
what incorruptible body gets to decide who to kill. This action is liable
to cause backlash in the daily political and social life of this country
for a long time.

Dave Muran-de Assereto