[geeks] My take

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 21:12:00 CDT 2001

> On another note about plane security. Specifically it sucks. There are
> reports that the plain that crashed in PA was taken over with knives.
> There is a very simple solution to these types of problems - put a
> think door on the cockpit which can only be locked and opened from the
> inside. Make it bulletproof. That alone would prevent almost all
> terrorist attacks of this type. Secondly, put the planes on
> computerized flight control. Override would be from the control towers
> only or by a code inputed by the pilot. Pressing a hijack button would
> disallow the pilot to disable the computer.

Try airport security.  Once when going to a plane at Newark Airport I observed
a "worker" walk through a door from an area that I was in, walk across a "road",
through a gate in a chain-link fence and up to a plane that was boarding from my terminal.
He could have delievered a "package" to the luggage bay.  I have to go though a metal
detector and they search my carry-on.  What ever happened to those "sky marshals" they
hired years ago when hijackings were epidemic?