[geeks] Hijacked

Mike Dombrowski geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 21:03:06 CDT 2001

>> Knives exist that could be passed through metal detectors - no doubt
about
>> it.  You can't X-Ray everyone though, and these are risks you take
for
>> having certain freedoms.
>Ever walk thru a airport metal detector with steeltoed boots on?
>They dont ask any questions,  just scan your feet with the wand to
make
>sure thats where it's being picked up..  Also you can scoot your feet
and
>not set it off. You could easily hide a large knife or other killing
>instrament in a shoe and nobody will notice. I've only had 1 officer
ask
>me to turn my cellphone on to make sure it is a working phone and not
>bomb.   It's oversights like these that can let anyone take anything
they
>want on a plane.  It's things like these that need to be changed.

See, this is not the problem IMHO. Sure, security needs to be beefed
up. But no matter what happens it's still pathetically easy to get
weapons onto planes. The ground crew is a huge security hole and is
hard to secure. That's why I say that we need different kinds of
security - mandatory lockable doors and things like computer controls.
Even with things like computer controls it would still be possible for
a determined terrorist to take control of a plane. They could replace
computer systems or repogram them or have people in the control tower.
But with other measures(checksums, multiple tower control) these could
be kept to a minimum. Someone made the comment that doors much be on
all planes, if so then why this tradegy happened is a mystery.

Still not believing they're gone and that the poor people are gone.

Mike