[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: kernel scalability....

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 00:23:10 CDT 2001

On 10 Sep 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> On Sun, 2001-09-09 at 18:44, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> > I've been with Sun a little over a year.  Before that, I've held various
> > jobs, from radio DJ to Tech Writer (My degree is in tech writing), to
>
> Out of curiosity, just what does a tech writing degree cover?  Is it
> focused more on the English language stuff, or more on translating from
> geek, or what?  Just curious, as I've been trying to decide which, if
> any, venue of school sounds most useful.

It's a pretty flexible degree (at least at Clarkson), and includes 30
hours of your choice, in addition to rhetoric, various writing and theory
classes, editing, graphic design, inteface design, programming, etc.  You
end up pretty well-rounded, and it hasn't hurt my career to be a geek who
can write.  (I wrote a successful proposal to buy an E10K!)

I'd do it again if I had to do it all over, but I would've paid more
attention to some of my software courses, as I find myself having to
really concentrate to learn stuff like solaris internals and kernel
debugging.  (As far as I'm concerned, the "Solaris Internals for
Employees" class could easily be a full 3-hour semester-long course,
instead of a week of hell...)

-Pete