[geeks] Re: [rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 10 18:25:57 CDT 2001

> package, but if you go out of business, well the package was GPLed, so
> they aren't SOL.  But, I notice that you didn't say anything about giving
> them the GPLed software.  Oh well.  Services are still the way to go even
> if you don't give them the software.  But, I think any sizable company
> would be follish not to demand it if they really are going to depend on
> your services.

Well - currently we do use some GPL stuff to make our systems run.  However
that's all changing.  The next iteration (6 months out) will be totally
written in-house.

Truthfully, I can't think of anything we _currently_ use that *is* GPL or
uses GPL libraries.  It does run on Linux, uses Perl, and uses JRE - but I
don't know of anything that *is* GPL.  Not exactly sure - I could be
mistaken.

At any rate - version 2 is totally proprietary.  It also is *very*
complicated, and depends on Oracle for a *lot* of stuff.  We might make the
move to something else -since Oracle is such a pain, but that depends on how
our DBA feels and what he comes up with.

Kurt