[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: kernel scalability....

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 20:53:01 CDT 2001

woods at weird.com writes:

>I'm not disputing any of that -- I'm telling you that any unix-like
>operating systems architecture will have one hell of a hard time ever,
>and I mean EVER, pushing the same throughput through an s390
>architecture machine as the same unix-like kernel running as multiple
>instances under VM.  Period.

I would expect any unix[-ish] system to do relatively badly on a
mainframe, because unix software doesn't know about channel programs,
etc.

However - why does running multiple unix instances under VM help?

Is this a context-switch-to-hide-latency type effect, like barel
processors use?

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
--------- "I prefer the rediculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------