[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: kernel scalability....

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 20:22:16 CDT 2001

See below... (brief, promise ;^)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg A. Woods" <woods at weird.com>
To: "Sun Geeks List" <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 8:46 PM
Subject: [geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: kernel scalability....

> There is no direct fit for a unix architecture operating system on top
> of an s390 architecture machine.  IBM's VM has a very significant
> purpose and place in the scheme of things and you'd be wise to
> understand it as best you can.

Exactly. Spot on, as some of our friends across the pond would say...

It is a different mindset working on mainframes, borne from a different
architecture and design philosophy. Everything is different - tha machine is
so fast, that the only useful way of sharing the CPU is when you are
blocked, waiting for I/O operations to occur, not on an arbitrary time slice
representing your "share" of the available CPU time...

Ken