[geeks] Grrr. stupid products

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 7 05:28:22 CDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:10:03AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Is it just me, or is the "cellphone expander antenna" thing that you put
> under your battery in a cellphone the worst, stupidest, makes-no-sense,
> scam-the-public product you've ever seen?

Do you not have truth-in-advertising laws?

> "Works on any mobile phone".  BULLSHIT.  ANTENNA NEEDS TO BE A
> MULTIPLE OR FRACTION OF THE WAVELENGTH OF THE PHONE TO WORK RIGHT.

All phones use one of a small set of frequencies, so provided you can
find a length which is an integer multiple (or a fraction) of all of
them then you're sorted.  As there are generally only two or three
frequencies used (for GSM, it's 900MHz, 1800MHz and 1900MHz), this is
not a hard problem.

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart