[geeks] Re: [rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 21:58:27 CDT 2001

See below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua D Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

> Personally, I think that claiming that Linux isn't unix is a very pathetic
> and artificial distinction.  The only evidence that has been pointed out
> to support this is lack of Unix98 certification and that it wasn't based
> directly on either the BSD code or the AT&T code.

Well, the logic is simple - if it were based on either BSD or AT&T code it
might be possible to "inherit" the certification, but with out a proper
certification it is not Unix, it is Unix-like. A generic drug, reverse
engineered from samples, is *not* the original drug, and can not claim it
is - same logic (well, nearly)...

Ken