[geeks] Wiring

Mike Dombrowski geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 12:57:01 CDT 2001

>In our data centers we have implemented building-style cabling. Each
rack
>has a cat-5 patch panel at the top that is trunked back to a patch
panel on
>the rack with the bigmofo switch. No mess possible. We even make cable
>adapters to allow us to use the cabling plant to carry serial data for
>consoles. This is the best approach I have seen in 15 years of machine
-room
>visits.

On the topic of wiring is there a standard "this is how you should do
wires"? I ask because in the near future I will have to be wiring a
building's datacenter and a couple residences and I don't know all that
I need to. It took me a looong time to realize what a 110 tool was for
because I've never used one and only had catalogs to look at to figure
out what they're for. Everything I know has been from personal
experience(be sure to use real cat5 wire, not faux cat5. Also, use the
standard color code not your own) or random bits picked up from
places(don't coil cat5/run it along power cables). Borders has some
books on this topic but I'd like to know if there are any
reccomendations.

Mike