[geeks] Data Center Braggage

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 10:56:05 CDT 2001

In our data centers we have implemented building-style cabling. Each rack
has a cat-5 patch panel at the top that is trunked back to a patch panel on
the rack with the bigmofo switch. No mess possible. We even make cable
adapters to allow us to use the cabling plant to carry serial data for
consoles. This is the best approach I have seen in 15 years of machine-room
visits.