[geeks] audiophiles again

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 21:57:22 CDT 2001

ward at zilla.nu writes:

>On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:58:04PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:

>> What do you know about power amps? My friend has a ~3000 watt rig
>> for playing out, and he keeps blowing the heads. (I think he's got
>> crossovers splitting it up to three heads. Not sure.)

>At that power, I'd assume it's solid-state?  I know as much about them
>as I know about anything else, I assume.  How are the speakers rated?

No clue. Part of the problem is the heads overheating. They have tiny
fans on them which are completely insufficient.

>In home hi-fi, I'd wager that he's trying to push speakers with too
>little power, but 3000 watts is a HELL of a lot.

It's about two six foot stacks of speaker cabinets. Take a look:

http://fortthunder.org/music/lb/photos/v-lb.jpg

You can see the amp heads piled up on the left stack.

Actually, he hasn't had that much trouble since going to 3000 watts.
At 2000 or so, he'd put everything on 10 and have a head fail almost
every show. (Mostly overheating and getting better a few hours later,
occasionally permenant damage.)

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
--------- "I prefer the rediculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------