[geeks] Printers, Printers, Programming, Terminal Servers, and Writingish

Mike Dombrowski geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 19:19:27 CDT 2001

Couple of questions here:

I'm wanting a label printer that can also do barcodes. Can anyone
reccomend a good, small, serial label printer where the costs of
materials is not too much? Unix compatablility is a must.

I also want a laser printer that understands postscript and has a
network interface. 100baseT would be nice but 100baseT would work. The
cheaper the better.

Third, I need reccomendations on a good terminal server. All I need is
like 4+ ports and ethernet connection. Rackmount and internal power
supply would be real nice.

All the recent talk about formatting languages and my long desire to
learn one has sparked my interest but I have no idea which one to
learn. Any suggestions for something? I'd really like it if there was a
"Introduction to ..." or a tutorial website.

Lastly, I want write some GUI apps for X11. I know C++ pretty well and
have been spoiled silly by BeOS's wonderfull API. But looking quickly
at QT and GTK left me with a bad taste in my mouth, is there something
better than these? Or a different language that would work? I'd like
some cross-platform best which was why I was looking at QT but that's
not absolutely necessary. I need to access databases and possibly do
other simple networking.

If anybody has something for sale that would work for me please contact
me off list.

TIA
Mike