[geeks] better word-processing previewing....

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 4 14:28:33 CDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 02:08:15PM -0500, Reagen B. Ward wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > DisplayGhostscript would give 2 licensing choices.  First, GPL the display
> > server, or pay a small licensing fee to Alladin.  I don't know what that
> > licensing fee would be, but I hear that it is far, far cheaper than Adobe.
>
> Probably a lot faster and cheaper to do it in PDF than to fix DGS.  I did
> a very brief look into DGS, and it looks to be as complete as GNUStep.

I would think that Apple, having access to all the DisplayPostscript code
would be able to very rapidly create a new DisplayGhostscript using the
DisplayPostscript code as a reference.

I mean, Apple doesn't own Postscript, but if you take DisplayPostscript,
and subtract the Postscript, they would own the remainder, wouldn't
they?  And that remander would hopefully have been written well enough to
give them a jumpstart on a new DisplayGhostscript.

As it was, they didn't license PDF, but instead did it from scratch, so
being able to reuse Ghostscript should have been a help, unless
Ghostscript is really crap?

--
Joshua D. Boyd