[geeks] arrrggghhh

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 30 10:18:43 CST 2001

On Thu, 2001-10-18 at 00:00, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 07:39:27PM -0400, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Tried PAN?  It's GNOME, and loosely modeled after Agent (for win32).  I
> > liked it when I used it a few versions ago, but I haven't found time to
> > get back to newsgroups lately.  :-(
>
> PAN seems to have stability problems whenever I've tried it.  Further,
> I've never been entirely happy with the binary handling, or the way
> something work.

>From the latest announcement, "
October 18, 2001 - New Release:
0.10.0.93 "Little Leprechaun"

This is a big bugfix release: for once I'm unable to crash it in heavy
torture testing. Undoubtedly you'll be able to correct this situation.
:)
"

And from the release before that one, "
    * Updates  Uses less temporary disk space when decoding multiparts.
This is chiefly due to some very excellent GMime code written by Jeffrey
Stedfast.
"

It also got about 4x faster on decoding multipart binaries.  I'm not
sure what else to say about the binary handling, as I don't use any
newsgroups with binaries.  Anyway, it's clearly under heavy development,
so it's worth checking out every few months, to see what they've fixed.
:)
	Greg