[geeks] Bastards! ;^)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Oct 28 16:46:44 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory Leblanc" <gleblanc at linuxweasel.com>
To: "Geeks" <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2001 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [geeks] Bastards! ;^)

> On Sun, 2001-10-28 at 16:48, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > My IT group is on to me... ;^)

<snip>

> Don't you have a 110 punch-down tool handy to fix that sort of thing?
> In a pinch, I just use the blade from my multi-tool.  :)

No, never deal with problems that "deep" - the wost I dealt with to date was
a dead switch port or bad cable...

> > Oh, and their DHCP connection only provides an IP and gateway address -
DNS
> > is not provided, and they are blocking all IPs outside their DHCP IP
range
> > is seems, since I can't ping their ISPs DNS servers. This is a remote
> > office, and everyone has PCs that are only Citrix clients, everyone that
get
> > internet access has (I assume) hard-coded DNS IPs...
>
> This just sounds like Bad Admins, or people in favor of making things
> more dificult than they need to be.

Nope - Internet access is a *scarce* commodity, as everyone in the new
office is connected to the main office via 2 T1 lines (about 70 Citrix
users), and you need a business reason to get internet access (as a
Validation Analyst, I don't qualify, but that's OK). The access folks need
is actually quite easy to setup (just DHCP on the port, and point Citrix at
the server, done.)...

Ken