[geeks] PDA recommendations

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 26 01:49:32 CDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:16:10PM -0400, Keith Campbell wrote:
> A lot of you use various PDA's.
>
> Which ones make good serial consoles in a pinch?

Not a Palm.  You really need something with a keyboard, so some WinCE
machines, or a Psion.  Don't consider a Nokia 9210, as they have
monstrously buggy firmware.

> Which ones can be secured?  (I think someone here mentioned that the
> Palm can't be.)

It all depends on what you mean by 'secured'.

The built-in 'security' you can apply to individual records in the PIM
apps is useless, but you can get third-party apps which provide reasonable
security for data you store in them (eg GNU Keyring) or which lock the
device pretty effectively.

If you save all your money for three years, you'll be able to afford this
new computer.  If, however, you blow all your money on poker, booze and
loose women - you'll still be able to afford it in three years.
                                                      -- anon, on Usenet