[geeks] iBook

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 24 18:14:34 CDT 2001

>Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about the new iBook? I am
>seriously considering trading a couple machines for one.

Umm... Any specific reason that you want the ibook?  Unless you need
size/ beat-to-hellableness I would recommend an older Powerbook G3.
I have a Pismo (firewire, 2000 model year) 500mhz and I *LOVE* it.
THE BEST powerbook ever made in my opnion (I've had 4 over the years,
I'll never buy any other kind of laptop).  I move around a lot
(fixing user problems)  and I can't stay wired down.  With my
powerbook and dual batteries I can go for 5-10 hours at a time with
no wall plugs.  If you need more than that the batteries are hot
swappable(provided you have two and a minimum 10 second charge on the
second battery) so you can go for a *LONG* time if you have the
batteries.  Also it has a 6x DVD, 14" screen, 1mb l2 cache and all
sorts of other goodies you don't get on the ibook. I've tricked mine
out w/ 512mb ram and a 30 gig hdd and so now I have a full
workstation in my lap.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=powerbook+firewire+500

These are still eligble for AppleCare(3 year extended waranty) and
are the best value going if you need/want a mac laptop.

daniel