Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 19:51:14 CDT 2001

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 05:45:14PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > bleary-eyed coding/admining drones.  Create a Director/manager from a
> > sysadmin, and you have a Director that can understand (in technical
terms)
> > what *actually* happened to the systems, and may even have the knowledge
> > help fix it.
>
> However, you can also end up with directors who know exactly what
> happened, but can't direct worth crap.  Just because someone is smart
> doesn't mean they can direct, unfortunately.

True.  Very true.  It's like getting a Army Captain that couldn't lead a
battalion down a one way street with stone walls on the sides - but can nail
a nickle from 200yds with an old 1911.

The overwhelming majority of directors, that I've seen, can either direct or
geekify - not both.  Once in a while though, you find one.  My old boss at
DefendNet was one such example, but he was slowly losing his geekiness - I
hope he managed to find it again after leaving that company though.

Kurt