Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 17:57:32 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 05:45:14PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> VPs are usually empty suits unless they've worked their way up from
> bleary-eyed coding/admining drones.  Create a Director/manager from a
> sysadmin, and you have a Director that can understand (in technical terms)
> what *actually* happened to the systems, and may even have the knowledge to
> help fix it.

The manager/director of our department used to be one of the sysadmins in
the trenches here - more than once, he's said "I need to stop logging into
these systems to fix stuff, and learn to delegate to you guys, since its
your job now..."

He was happy when I started, so he could stop having to maintain the
HP-UX boxes (nobody else here has HPUX or SGI experience).

> Lord knows, if someone ever told me I had to stop being a geek to keep my
> Director's title, I might slap them back into reality.

We have a senior admin here who swears he'll never become a manager,
because then he'd have to quit wearing shorts and sandals.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net