Informal Poll WAS RE: [geeks] Laid off blues

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 16:45:14 CDT 2001

> > When suits are involved, anything is possible.  Once you get
> > profitability, someone will decide to hire 20 or 30 more vice
presidents.

> Why hire external unknown quantities who may turn out to be clueful when
you
> can promote from within and guarantee incompetence? :)

VPs are usually empty suits unless they've worked their way up from
bleary-eyed coding/admining drones.  Create a Director/manager from a
sysadmin, and you have a Director that can understand (in technical terms)
what *actually* happened to the systems, and may even have the knowledge to
help fix it.

Lord knows, if someone ever told me I had to stop being a geek to keep my
Director's title, I might slap them back into reality.

Kurt