[geeks] Mac and Cheese (aka Kraft Dinner)

Chris Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 14:09:33 CDT 2001

Hmm, lets just take a look at the typical brits weekly menu shall we?

Steak and Kidney pie
Bubble and squeak
Bangers and mash
Rasher and chips
Beans and toast
fish and chips
sausages, beans, and chips
Curried everything (chips, rice, chicken, tennis balls, doesnt matter as
long as its curried)
Satay everything (see my note on curry above)
Various pseudo chinese, thai, and indian take-away

And of course there are the true classics

Spotted dog
Spotted dick
Drowned baby

For the uninitiated a drowned baby is a suet pudding floating in melted
lard.

There was a truly hilarious brtish TV show in the early '80s called 'Yes
Minister' followed on by 'Yes prime minister' starring Paul Eddington (he'll
be missed) and Nigel Hawthorne. One particular episode dealt with the
british breakfast sausage, the 'Banger', causing a problem with the common
market (not yet changed to the EEC)

Minister Hacker: Well what's the problem then
Sir Humphry Appelby: Well Minister, you see it's the Germans
Hacker: Yes?
Appelby: You see Germans are very particular about sausage
Hacker: The Germans are very particular about everything, and?
Appleby: Quite sir. They are objecting to the classification of Birtish
Sausage as food
Hacker: WHAT!!!
Appleby: Yes minister, it seems that the common sausage actually contains
less than 2% of what one might actually consider food.
Hacker: Well what the bloody hell do they want in a sausage
Appleby: Strictly speaking they would insist that it be edible, digestible,
and be posessing of some nutritional value.
Hacker: Well that strikes off most all of our national diet right there

The REALLY funny thing was that an issue like this actually was raised. You
cannot sell british (or irish) breakfast sausage in germany as sausage
because it doesnt meet the very strict German food purity laws. Or at least
it didnt at the time.

Chris Byrne