[geeks] Sun-HOWTO

Martijn Pronk geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 22 06:28:30 CDT 2001

>   If you want a bigger box check out the origin3800 from SGI.  These
> things are *MASSIVE* upto 512 cpus (right now thats a limit in IRIX,
> NOT a hardware limit)  multipe terabytes of storage, hundreds of gigs
> of ram, all in one.... "box"  but its really more like a wall.  I
> only wish I had the 10-50 mil these things probably cost.

You mean something like this one:
 http://smartie.xs4all.nl/~martijn/SARA/teras.jpg ?

This is a 1024 processor Origin 3800.
(see http://www.sara.nl for more details on this beast, look for TERAS...)

BTW in the same directory mentioned above there are some more
nice pictures made by SARA, The Dutch Academic "number-crunching" centre...
I've been there in september, and all I could say was something
like "k3w1..."

Martijn Pronk   <martijn at smartie.xs4all.nl>

   There is nothing magic about SCSI cabling.  There are sound
   technical reasons why they occasionally require the sacrifice of a
   young goat.        - Somebody in FreeBSD-current