[geeks] gun collectors?

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Oct 20 13:31:02 CDT 2001

> .50 Cal. armor piercing.  Goes straight through the wall leaving an
> almost completely clean hole with no "tumble" to damage the
> wood/stone/steel. ;-)  Big enough to run two cables through the same
> hole.
>
> Don't know what gun of that age your would find in .50 Cal. though.

Just about any muzzle loader.  If you're creative you could probably
manufacture an armor piercing slug for any current magnum muzzle loader.
Most black powder rounds are designed *not* to tumble, and .54 cal is very
common.  However - I wouldn't suggest it.  You have to take into account the
breech pressure created by the force necessary to propel an armor piercing
round at anything approaching an effective velocity.  Most muzzle loaders,
even current high-tech ones, aren't designed to accept any more than 150
grains of black powder, or 3 pyrodex tablets.  However, it all depends -
2600fps muzzle velocity is not unheard of.

Kurt