[geeks] E15K as a Terminal Server?

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 19 07:39:39 CDT 2001

Joshua,

Put down the crack pipe - a $2300 PC? That is far from typical!

At my company we never pay more than $400/system, toss $50 in to up the RAM,
and 17" monitors are $125 - one *fourth* your "average" price.

Going further up the network, we have six servers for 200 users, a mix of
Citrix and Win2K clients, so we have 33 1/3 users per server (or that is
their "share" of the server expense), and I don't think we use any Dell
servers that cost over $5-6K/each, but lets put some RAM, HD and additional
CPUs and call them $10K servers, that puts you at $300/client - right around
$1K per user *including* MS-Tax/OS.

Would this ramp-up to *thousands* of users? No, but such installations are
relatively uncommon... Besides, what kind of network connections can you
stuff in the E15K? Each SunRay is supposed to have switched 100 Mb/sec,
right? So how many network connections can the E15K take by itself?

Bottom-line, I think such a monolithic server is *not* the target market for
the E15K... (as you noted)

Ken