[geeks] setting browser default home page

Edward Chase geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 18 13:03:21 CDT 2001

A web portal site that we had a relationship with closed up last week and
due to a promotion they did on campus last week there are potentially
hundreds of students whose browsers are set to their site as the default
home page.

I had gotten several phone calls w/ students complaining that "the internet
is down".  I now have a web redirection going at our firewall.  Any web
request to their site is redirected to an internal web page that displays a
letter from the company explaining their shutdown.  What I'd like to
include on that page is a "Click here to change your default homepage to
www.providence.edu"

Can this be done in JavaScript?  I'm looking around for a script, but am
having troubles finding anything like this.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence, RI  02918   |