[geeks] Sun-HOWTO

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 18 04:53:11 CDT 2001

Heh, I'd love to get one of *those* cardboard boxes
for my son!

How do they physically move the thing - forklift?
Wheels? What are the environmental
concerns/rrequirements to accept delivery of the
shipment?

That would be cool to see it "light-up"...

BTW, how does Netscape run on it? StarOffice? Could I
run Solaris 2.5.1 and put WABI on it? Or plug in a
SunPCi card?

Ken

--- "Peter L. Wargo" <pwargo at basenji.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> > I assume they are site-built, much like a
> mainframe - which produces the
> > *largest* pile of packing scrap I have ever seen -
> every card, every option,
> > everything came in a box...
>
> Nope, just the opposite - a Sun Fire(tm) 15K comes
> in *one* box.  One
> *very big* box.  We actually assemble them @Sun, in
> beaverton, then ship
> to the customer site.  I/O (usually racs of T3's)
> arrive in one big box,
> also all ready to go - we connect fiber, networking,
> and LOTS of power,
> then fire up the SC's, then the platform, and get
> down to business.  The
> SC's are set up and ready to go, and we set up one
> domain with OS.  The
> SC's even have images of the OS on them, so you can
> use them as jumpstart
> servers.

<snip>

> I'm actually impressed with 'em - they are amazingly
> easy to get going for
> such a complex system.  They essentially take what
> was good about the E10K
> and make it better.  Plus, the 900MHz UltraSPARC
> III+ is a fast chip...

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com