[geeks] Vegetarianism... was Re: [rescue] Friggin huge list m embers!)

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 11:46:26 CDT 2001

> Again, you assume that all meat is factory-farmed.  And in any case, there's
> a quite frightening amount of pollution on fruit and veg too.  All those
> revolting pesticides - again, those can be avoided if you buy organic veg
> like I do.

Where can I buy non-organic veg?  I think the "organic" label
is overused.

> Again, you can avoid the excesses of factory food by buying organic produce,
> or by buying from suppliers who know the history of their product.  Rough
> translation: avoid supermarkets whenever possible :-)

Soemone did a test over here on organic (health) food  versus supermarket food and
found the "organic food" had a greater dose of pesticides.  Guess ya gotta be
careful where you get your food.

> Eh-hem.  Viruses cross-breeding?  I'm afraid that you are talking out of
> your hat here.  Also note that influenza spreads mainly through the air,
> so vegetarianism doesn't help.

Maybe he saw 'The Andromeda Strain".

> Every year's flu is different from the previous year.  The influenza virus
> just happens to mutate really quickly.  Nowt to do with diet.

Absolutely agree.  Good place for a basic biology course.