[geeks] Anyone try/look into DirectvDSL service?

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 16 09:22:35 CDT 2001

>On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 08:05:57AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
>>  Oh, quite nice - I was concerned they would charge a fee to allow me to use
>>  my Linksys Cabe/DSL router/switch...
>
>and how the heck are they going to *know* that this is what you're doing?
>From their end, its just another machine doing a DHCP request.

What roadrunner does is log your mac address when you sign up.  When
ever you add additional machines that need a public IP they record it
and set their DHCP server to only serve known mac addresses.  They
may also have mac locked switches.  You're computer won't work
without NAT or an additional IP payed for.  For some reason colleges
do this in dorms too.

daniel