[geeks] arrrggghhh

Greg A. Woods geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 13:48:35 CDT 2001

[ On Monday, October 15, 2001 at 13:49:52 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] arrrggghhh
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 01:20:31PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Don't _ever_ use fetchmail!  Fetchmail _SUCKS_!!!
> >
> > (seriously!  don't try to read the code without your peril sensitive
> > glasses on and turned to full!!!)
>
> What is wrong with it?  It has worked without error for me in the past.

Like I said, try reading the code for one -- though be careful you don't
hurt yourself!

It's also a very bad hack in the purest sense of the word.

It's such a wrong solution for the problem that I don't even know where
to begin.

> > Use GNU Movemail.  It properly fetches a POP mailbox and keeps it in
> > proper order.  You can then use any MUA which can read a mailbox file.
> > (there's even a version that does IMAP! ;-)
>
> I checked out the gnu project list at gnu.org, and I didn't see that
> listed.  Where can I get it?

It is, of course, included as part of emacs, and it's also included in
Netscape (navigator and communicator, IIRC).  You'll also find a
kerberised version in the MIT kerberos distribution.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>