[geeks] More sipping woes + need U10 PS in Ireland

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 15 05:22:42 CDT 2001

All,

Well thursday some of my computer equipment finally started arriving after
sitting in customs for a week waiting for the inspectors to get around to
it.

Unfortunately when I opened up the packages there were some nasty surprises.
My 24" monitor had a smashed case and stand (it looks like they dropped it
two feet into the carton when they repacked it after customs inspection).

At least the damage is obvious and physical which means they should pay out
on the claim. My U10 wasn't so lucky however.

I unpacked the thing (they packed it since they didnt think the original
packing was sturday enough to insure it) and I very carefully made sure the
voltage select switch was set over to 230/240 and plugged the bad boy in,
followed by a nice shower of sparks and all the power going out in my
building.

Anyway I opened the power supply up but there was no burning or pitting,
none of the capacitors blew, there were no funny smells, and all the coils
seemed fine just no juice was flowing anywhere. I havent had time for any
forensics on it yet, but I'm guessing that something conductive migrated
it's way into the PS udring shipping and caused a short somewhere.

Anyway that leaves me needing a new PS for a U10. My Sun reseller tells me
it'll be weeks before he can get me one and even then it's like $500, which
doesn't make much sense seeing as I can get a new U10 for like a grand at
the moment.

Can anyone get me a U10 power supply in Ireland within say a week for a
reasonable cost?

Chris Byrne