[geeks] Bush's Speech

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 12 00:33:43 CDT 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, William S. wrote:

> Many "Non-Christians" believe in God, too.
>
> Bill
> Catholic who believes in God.

Ummm, yeah.  But depending on who you talk to, it can be the same god, or
different ones.  Also, let's not neglect our Hindu friends, or Buddhists,
both of which outnumber Christians, Jews, and Moslems.  (Although,
Buddhists would be quick to point out that it's not really a religion,
more of a lifestyle, and that you can have, for example, a Buddhist
Catholic.  As my parish priest was where I grew up.)

My point is that one of the base tenents of the US constitution is the
freedom to be free to worship who or what you choose, and not to be forced
into a state religion.  If GDub wants to worship the Christian God, he has
every right.  But a politician who says: "...and we must all espouse good
Christian values," does an injustice to our country and its wide variety
of beliefs.  Good, decent values are common to most beliefs, no matter who
gets prayed to.

-Pete
 "Former Roman Catholic, who believes in what he believes.  Hopefully, my
actions do those beliefs justice."